Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bruce Boudreau – Professionalism?

I’ll start off by saying that I know I’ll take a lot of heat for this post from Capitals fans, but I felt that it had to be said. I think that I’m fare in my writing so I hope that is kept in mind.

During this week, Mike Green took a rather hard hit into the boards courtesy of the Avalanche’s David Koci. John Erskine took on Koci during the game and Coach Boudreau took him on in a post game interview.

I don’t have a problem with a Coach defending his players. In fact, I applaud it, but Boudreau goes awry in my opinion:

“Please, the guy’s got one goal in six years. He couldn’t play in the American league.”

Wow. I think my jaw hit the floor when I heard that line. Of course I understand that he was upset that Green was injured. And he was probably very frustrated that he had three defensemen left at the end of the game, but that really wasn’t professional. There is a difference between stating that you think a hit was dirty and actually berating a professional athlete.

Of course, Boudreau followed it up with: “I hope they throw the book at him.”

Every team in the league has to stand by and let the NHL police the game. In my opinion, Boudreau should state that he felt it was a dirty hit and graciously say that the NHL will review and rule on the matter. If he disagreed with their ruling then he could make a statement disagreeing with the ruling.

I understand that Boudreau is passionate, as are many players on the Capitals, I just think that he needs to choose he words wisely in interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment