Saturday, December 5, 2009

Phantoms Return to Philly!

So despite my spinal injury acting up I continued with my plans to go home for the weekend and while I'm a in a bit of discomfort I don't regret it at all. (Although I will admit that it prevented me from seeing the entire game....)

The trip was well worth it as I got to see the Phantoms for the first time since last season. Homer restocked them in the off-season and the depth was supposed to be amazing so I was wondering why they were doing so poorly in the standings. I certainly got my answer, but that, of course, opened up a flurry of other questions.

It was definitely odd to see the first face-off of the game lacking Jared Ross. I'm so used to him being the "main man" that it felt a bit awkward even though I knew he's been struggling this year. When he was finally on the ice, he won most of his face-offs that I saw which was a good sign. His line, however was rather "uncomfortable" as they seemed quite out of sync. There were a LOT of turnovers and it seemed as though they were making far too many risky passes that were continually being intercepted by Norfolk players. I am aware that they have been juggling the lines in Adirondack, but Jared Ross definitely does not have the correct linemates and that is sad to see after the production he turned out for us last year.

For the most part he still had his fight, but I was left wondering if that nasty boarding hit by Kaleta has him slightly off-kilter still. His fight in the corners was still there and great to see, he was even throwing his body around which is amazing considering his diminutive size. The thing that concerned me was that at times I found myself saying "move your feat" under my breathe. I wonder if he's getting tired just a little too fast right now. I do wish him the best as players with that much heart always have a special place with me. Perhaps he will work his way back to last year's success and perhaps he won't. Even so, I do understand that the Glens Falls/Adirondack fans adore him.

The line that looked amazing was the Maroon line. It was definitely snapping together and had a nice jump! They seemed to be the trio with the most attack and heart and it was refreshing.

David Sloane! Hello and welcome home! I was glad to see our hometown boy back in Orange. It didn't seem like the fans in attendance knew he was home though; that was probably better for him. I found myself secretly hoping that his family was there because I think his cinderella story deserved a personal cheering section.

Marshall was a scratch with an undisclosed injury so I was a big sad to have missed seeing him in action as I haven't seen him live since the rookie scrimmage and training camp. Bourdon though definitely won a small place in my heart when he stuck up for a teammate. He's going to be a welcome bruiser to our blue line someday.

My main observation was that Adirondack is playing like they don't know each other. Overall there were sloppy passes, turnovers galore (don't get me wrong they stole the puck back but they shouldn't be loosing it so often in the first place), and just seemed out of step with each other. This saddened me because they were supposed to have such promise what with their supposedly stellar coach and retooled lineup. It raised so many questions that were previously buried in my mind. Is this the wrong coach for them? Were there too many changes in the off-season. Is the move to Glens Falls proving to be at great detriment to the progress of the future of the Flyers? Without being able to see them on a regular basis, I'm just left wondering. Maybe someday soon the Phantoms will return home...then again, maybe so will I.

I don't regret making the trek. Not one bit. I wanted too see them and I even got two more pieces of hockey memorabilia that I desperately wanted. A small bottle of Spectrum ice in a Phantoms jar and a Claude Giroux autographed puck. Both were dirt cheap and will definitely be centerpieces in my hockey collection. I'm so happy about the Spectrum ice....it's like sacred water to us hard-core Flyers fans.

So, my fellow hockey fans, that is my Phantoms update for you. I am sorry that I didn't take many photos to share with you , but that is the nature of an injury such as mine. Some days you think "I'm finally over the worst", and some days you relapse. All you can do is watch some good hockey, ice your back and blog away....

Good night & good hockey!

No comments:

Post a Comment